Positive Link is a program of the Minnesota AIDS Project that provides education and support for gay and bisexual men who are living with HIV. Every month, we host social and educational events to bring members of our community together. We also help people living with HIV to get connected to local resources, programs, and clinics. We want to bring you the most current and scientifically accurate information about living with HIV and other aspects of sexual health. Whether you are newly diagnosed or have been living with HIV for years, Positive Link has something to offer you.
- Meetup Group: We use Meetup.com and its related mobile apps to post information about Positive Link facilitated programming as well as allow a platform for our participants to plan their own events with other members of the HIV-positive community and build social connections. Access to the group is screened so that only those who are living with HIV can access the information.
- Facebook Group: Positive Link has a secret Facebook group that has nearly 300 members. The group is a resource for clients to share HIV and other health related information, a place where clients can find social support and facilitate online discussion of hot topics. The group allows clients to maintain a degree of anonymity since only Positive Link participants have access to the group.
- Email Newsletter: On the last Friday of each month, we send out an electronic newsletter to more than 400 program participants with information about what they can look forward to over the next two months.
Individual Client Meetings: We can meet with you one on one to help you learn about safe sex and risk reduction. All meetings are confidential. We can also help you get connected to services and make referrals.
1st and 3rd Wednesday Suppor+ Discussion Groups: These peer-facilitated discussion groups meet twice a month on Wednesday evenings in a a safe-space for gay and bisexual men living with HIV get together to learn more about a range of topics. A sample of topics include:
- Living with HIV
- Disclosure (communicating with friends, family and partners)
- Nutrition and body image
- Intimacy and relationships
- Stigma management/reduction
- HIV treatment
- Building social support
- Mental health management
- Sexual health and risk-reduction
Social Suppor+ Coffee Night: At least once a month, we pick a Wednesday night to connect with each other at a Minneapolis coffee shop to chat and socialize. There are no set topics and members are free to bring up their own topics of discussion.
Core Group: The last Wednesday of every month is dedicated to participant feedback about past and future programming. Positive Link is "for and by gay/bi men with HIV" and our Core Group ensures we stay true to that mission. All program participants are welcome at any feedback session.
Educational Workshops for Clients and Staff: Positive Link staff and volunteers plan and coordinate free dinners at local restaurants where experts present about HIV related issues.
Hi-5 Social Activities: Positive Link staff and or volunteers promote and host social activities such as cookouts, movie nights, ice skating, bowling, and visits museums or popular Twin Cities activities.
Positive Link Calendar:
- Wednesday, January 23 - Social Suppor+ Coffee Night
Friday, January 26 - Movie Night at MAP
Wednesday, January 31 - Core Group
Saturday, February 3 - Hi-5 Brunch at New Uptown Diner
Wednesday, February 7 - Suppor+ Group
Saturday, February 10 - Minnesota AIDS Walk
Wednesday, February 14 - Social Suppor+ Coffee Night
Friday, February 16 - Movie Night at MAP
Monday, February 19 - Time OUT for Lunch
Wednesday, February 21 - Long-Term Survivor Suppor+
Wednesday, February 28 - Core Group